Coconut oil is well known in most kitchens as it is highly nutritious and delicious cooking oil. It is also popular outside the kitchen as its health benefits transcend to the skin and hair. Coconut oil is used as a base for many natural beauty products because of its saturated fats that help the skin stay moisturized. It gives your skin that even tone and makes you look younger.
As Reported by coconut oil.com – A study was conducted in 2008 at the Skin and Cancer Foundation in the Philippines, entitled: Novel antibacterial and emollient effects of coconut and virgin olive oils in adult atopic dermatitis(a skin condition). The results were published in the journal Dermatitis. The study compared virgin coconut oil and virgin olive oil in moisturizing dryness and removing Staphylococcus aureus from colonized Atopic dermatitis skin. It was a double-blind controlled trial in two outpatient dermatology clinics with adult Atopic dermatitis patients who were diagnosed by history, pattern, evolution, and skin lesions. The study concluded that coconut oil was more effective than olive oil, probably due to the presence of lauric acid which is known to kill bacteria and fungi.
Here are the benefits of coconut oil for Skin
- Coconut oil is used to treat skin diseases such as Acne, psoriasis, Atopic dermatitis as the report above confirms. Its antibacterial and antifungal properties do well to rid the skin of diseases. When used regularly on the facial skin for both moisturizing and deep cleansing, it helps keep the bacteria causing acne in check giving you a smooth face with little or no breakouts.
- Coconut oil can reduce facial wrinkles and make you look younger than you really are. It penetrates fast and deep into the skin
- It can be used as a deodorant for under arms. A friend Margret told me – I use coconut oil as a natural deodorant for my under arm and so far I feel very comfortable using it, as my skin is sensitive to chemical deodorants.
- Coconut oil can be used as an eye makeup Remover. Put a little on a cotton wool ball and wipe over your eyes and under your eyes as well, clean until makeup Is removed then wash your face.
- It can be used as your night moisturizer. Simply rub oil in your palms and apply on your face, massaging for a while. It can also be added to your favorite moisturizer.
- It can be used as a lip balm. Apply on the lips often throughout the day to prevent dry and chapped lips.
- Coconut oil applied to the facial skin helps fade dark spots giving you an even light skin.
Benefits of Coconut oil for Hair
- Dandruff Treatment: Coconut oil can be used to treat dandruff prone dry scalps, massage oil on your scalp daily to get best results. It keeps your scalp moisturized and encourage hair growth.
- For Dry and breaking hair apply coconut oil on the hair from scalp to top, then you cover hair after 30min you wash off with shampoo.
- For Dark and Bouncy Hair you can use coconut curry mix. Add your curry leaves to your coconut oil put to boil for a little while when your curry leaves get dark you remove the leaves allow to cool and use your oil mixture on your hair.
Also See: 10 Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
Remember to like or share with a friend. Do you know more ways coconut oil can be used for the skin and Hair? Do well to leave a comment.