The onions surely know it’s onions, as its health benefit are enormous. It has a strong pungent odour, it brings tears to your eye, you may say. Yes! You are right, but it’s nothing to be compared with its nutritional benefits. Onions are not just flavours for your culinary delight, they go further to providing healing to your various health challenges ranging from low libido, hair loss, insomnia etc.
According to National Onion Association, onions are high in vitamin c, dietary fibre, folic acid, calcium, iron. It is high in protein quality, low in sodium, and contains no fat.
Onions have several ways it can be prepared to your delight. It can be eaten raw and fresh, it can be added as a flavour in combination with other foods, its juice can be extracted and taken, it can be dried and ground to a smooth powder, stored and used when needed. Below are the amazing health benefits of consuming onions:
- Anti-carcinogenic properties: onions are from a family of allium vegetables of which garlic is included, Organic sulphur found in onions from studies have shown to battle cancer, organic sulphur infuses the cells with oxygen, making it difficult for cancer cells to survive. True organic sulphur can deal with pain, it can deal with inflammation and above all, it can get massive amounts of oxygen inside the cancer cells. This can kill the microbes inside the cancer cells which in turn can revert the cancer cells into normal cells says cancertutor.com. Several studies have been published on the efficacy of allium vegetables and cancer of which The National Cancer Institute found that individuals who ate the most allium vegetables (red onions, scallions, garlic, chives and leeks) had a nearly 50% lower cancer risk than those who ate the least as reported by drsircus.com. Quercetin found in onions as well prevents free radicals formation and impedes tumour growth.
- Improves skin and hair growth: infused with vitamin C which helps build collagen. Collagen is essential for skin, nail and hair growth. The nutritional components of onions also helps eliminates wrinkles making you look younger
- Boosts immune system: Quercetin and sulphur found in onions are powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients that help build the immune system. It rejuvenates the blood cells making it even more capable of resisting infections. Its antibacterial properties also help in fighting infections.
- Maintains healthy bones: Its anti-inflammatory effect aids pain and discomfort associated with arthritis, it also helps improve bone density especially important for women at risk of osteoporosis.
- Insomnia: Having problem sleeping? Take a cup of onion juice before bedtime and see the wonders of having a good deep sleep.
- Heart friendly: Consumption of onions has been seen to protect the heart from heart attacks.In animal studies, there is evidence that onion’s sulphur compounds may work in an anti-clotting capacity and help prevent the unwanted clumping together of blood platelet cells. There is also evidence showing that sulphur compounds in onion can lower blood levels of cholesterol and triglycerides, and also improve cell membrane function in red blood cells, according to world health foods. It keeps the blood vessels devoid of any form of malformation or blood clot that may Impede blood flow.
- Prevents allergies: It has antihistamine properties, quercetin which is an antioxidant prevents cells from releasing histamine, preventing allergic reactions such as sneezing, running nose, allergies that may cause an asthmatic condition or any other form of allergy. Vitamin c which also has a high nutritional content in onions also helps fights allergic reactions.
- Oral health: Onions do not let the bad bacteria in your mouth go unpunished, its antibacterial properties ensure oral hygiene. Just chew a mouth full of onions daily.
To get the best of its health benefit, take a cup of fresh onion daily.Make sure to always use whole medium sized onions for your cooking delight
Do you know any other health benefit of onions? Do well to leave a comment.