Just had the delicious okra soup made from the green nutritious okra vegetable and decided to write about the health benefits incase you are missing out of its numerous benefits. Okra is a food that keeps you full. For those on a weight loss diet okra shouldn’t be found missing in the list, as it contains vitamins and minerals that are essential for proper functioning of the body system and more so it helps manage certain diseases. Are you still there? What’s keeping you from heading to the kitchen to prepare your okra? Ok, hold on let us talk more about its health benefits.
- Weight loss diet: It has fiber that makes you feel full and thereby preventing you from unnecessary eating due to food cravings. Low in calories you are on a safe side.
- Packed with nutrients: Okra contains potassium, Vitamin B, Vitamin C, calcium even folic acid so pregnant women are encouraged to eat okra to add to their dietary folic acid, it also contains Vitamin A necessary for good vision, its nutrients help maintain healthy skin.
- Lowers cholesterol levels: According to research okra has been found to lower cholesterol levels
- Helps lower blood glucose levels: Diabetics, in particular, are encouraged to eat okra; Studies show that Rats fed with okra had a significant decrease in blood sugar levels.
- Gives you Energy thereby preventing fatigue: Including okra, in your diet gives you the required energy to exercise thereby helping you lead a healthy lifestyle as exercise, in turn, can help control blood sugar levels.
- Boost immunity: Its antioxidant component helps fight free radicals, its Vitamin C content helps boost immunity by aiding the production of white blood cells.
- Helps liver function efficiently
So you know the benefits now, you should be on your way to the kitchen to prepare a good plate of okra soup. Oops! I forgot… let’s look at the recipe of okra soup the non-fry Nigerian way.
Recipe for okra soup
- Dried Catfish
- Pepper and salt(to taste)
- Pumpkin leaf (ugu) Onions (optional)
Prepare your stock– Wash your meat, stockfish, fish and keep aside.
Chop your okra in tiny pieces, the tinier the better. Grind your crayfish and pepper, wash and cut your Ugu Leafs then set aside.
In a pot, put your meat and stockfish (get the soft ones that can get done quickly) dried catfish, onions, stock cubes, pepper, salt and cook till meat and stockfish are soft enough, you add your palm oil and cook for 3minutes then add your okra simmer then add your pumpkin leafs simmer as well, your pot of okra soup is ready.
NB- Don’t cook your vegetables too long.
I like my okra crunchy though.
Watch this video below for you okra soup preparation